Tuesday, 31 May 2011

The Modern Family

Every tv family has their special qualities, but hardly any can say they have two dads, or two moms. Since the '50s (which is as far as I can think of in terms of tv families), mainstraem family sitcoms have had the same model. There is the standard hard-working father, loving stay-at -home mother, trouble-maker son, and know-it-all sister. It may not be deliberate, but these families perpetuate the belief that a family should consist of a mother and father, not two fathers or two mothers. Unfortunately, these stereotypical families wouldn't be perpetuated if us viewers didn't want this on television. It's a viscious cycle, as the creaters and producers of these shows want to please their audience, which often consists of the nuclear family. The exclusion of homosexual parented families in media is discrimination because a whole population isn't being represent on televsion. Furthermore, this brings up the exclusion of other characters such as transgendered or a bisexual characters on television. Why do you think these types of characters are excluded from television shows?

For the past 50 years, a gay married couple as lead character in a sitcom was almost unheard of. It wasn't until 2009, when Modern Family first appeared on television screens that North America was exposed to a gay couple as leading characters in a family sitcom. This, in my opinion, is changing the face of family sitcoms in North America. As gay rights have become more evident in our society, so has their place on our television screens. The popularity of this sitcom has displayed the potential to have a successful portrayal of a gay couple on North American television.

For those of you who've never seen the show I've included a clip of Mitchell and Cameron, the gay couple on the show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSKMSwil4J4

After watching this clip, do you think it is appropriate for television to portray gay couples? If so is it a fair portrayal of gay couples? Do you think the future of families tv families will change as a result of the success of Modern Family?

13 comments:

  1. In my opinion, I think it is appropriate to portray gay couples on television. This is the step towards a more educated and open-minded society. If individuals see gay couples being portrayed in different shows then it is creating awareness among them. This is also a way in which many of the stereotypes about gay men and women can be broken. If individuals have liked "modern family" then it will gradually become accepted. Other shows depicting the same scenario will come out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to Gurpreet's comment, I would like to agree for the most part, that portraying gay/lesbian couples will help create a better open-minded society. But what if gay couples feel that it's offensive to them? I also believe that networks will be hesitant to play tv shows that portray gay couples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Gurpreet's comment, some gay men may not feel it's an accurate portrayal of themselves. Also, your comment got me thinking about the open-mindedness of our society. I've also noticed that a lot of the gay couples being portrayed on televsion are men. Will and Grace, Modern Family, 1girl5gays, all portray the male perspective of gay couples. Do you think lesbian couples feel excluded? Also, do you think it is easier for society to be accepting of gay couples as opposed to lesbian couples?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both Gurpreet and Nisant that more exposure to homosexuality will create a more open minded society. Like I had mentioned in our round table discussions, some places like the Philippines, they are widely accepting homosexuality in society as you can see there are a handful of gay men. Whenever I watch a Filipino movie, I see at least one gay person in it. Whether they are gay themselves or their character is a gay person, some are totally acceptant towards homosexuality. Also whether they accept homosexuality or not, it is not their place to judge these people.

    Refering to Ashleigh's questions, I believe that it is easier for society to accept gay couples in contrast to lesbian couples. There are more terms and more exposure to gay couples than lesbian couples. There is the odd movie or article about lesbians. They either mention it or quickly pass up the term. For example, in Mean Girls, they mention lesbians but in a way that misinterprets them.
    Homosexuality is still a touchy issue but there are some starting to slightly open up to them. Celebrities are good example of role models. For example, Ellen DeGeneres and Portia Rossi are the lesbian couple as well as Elton John and David Furnish. But I do believe that lesbians are still so to say are "coming out of the closet" as there is not too much publicity. After the Madonna and Britney snogging issue, I myself saw that I started to notice lesbians a bit more because that's what I associate it with. One of my first exposure to female kissing female opposed to the usual heterosexual kissing. Afterwards, more female stars such as Lindsay Lohan started having a homosexual relationship with another girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually never noticed that they never have homosexuals as parents on TV. However, there are many movies that show the romance between homosexuals and there are many shows that have homosexuals who are open about their sexuality. I think the media is gradually working into getting people used to homosexuals or any other groups of different sexuality. The reason why I say that, is because many famous individuals who are of different sexuality are actually really liked and have a great number of fan following. Not only are they helping change the society’s norm, but there are many other who are straight and yet fight to give equal rights to these people. I think the world is very well on its way to making these kinds of relationships appear very common in the society. We are changing REALLY fast in these times, and this change will come fast enough as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to Ashleigh's comment that I do agree that society is portraying gay couples more than lesbians or bisexuals. This might make them feel isolated and excluded because society is not becoming aware of their sexuality. If more lesbians or bisexuals are shown in the media then the society might accept them more.

    It is also important to pay attention that TV shows portray them correctly. This is because if the show is biased then it will create more discrimination and stereotypes.

    I am not quite sure if the society accepts gay couples more than lesbians. I think this might be because we have seen more gay couples being portrayed in the movie as opposed to lesbian women and this might explain the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To answer you question Ashleigh, I think that homosexuality, and its shows, should be allowed on television. We don’t see Caucasians alone of television, but Blacks, Asians, Muslims, men, women, etc. However, do you think many people would want to watch a show if they see two guys or two girls holding hands or kissing?

    Many shows that we have today, especially in our society, do not portray homosexuality in a positive way. Most men are portrayed as clueless
    and uneducated, and so many people laugh at them. I am not sure how homosexual women are portrayed because ad Gurpreet said, much are not on the media. However, Ellen Degeneres, it portrayed in a positive way.

    Maybe the show Modern Family would really start changing what society has considered the norm. Change like this have to start somewhere, and the change is starting now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to watch this show. I really like it due top the fact that a new idea about family was being introduced by the media. I think that homosexuality portrayed in this show is a great way to make individuals more open and accepting to this kind of family. As media has been influencing everyone on various ideas, this show would be a great influence them too.

    @Sageena: Honestly, when I used to watch this show I usually watch it with my mom and brother but not with dad. Not because he hates homosexual individuals it because he has grown up where such ideas were never talked about it and is not very accepting when it comes to this topic. But he never taught us to hate these individuals as he believes that they are human and have the right to be treated equally with respect. I think that now living in Canada I have learnt many new ideas and seen various culture and family I have started to accept them more and believe that my dad will too eventually. I agree with you Sageena that someone and somewhere change should start and even by sharing our views on this blog is one way we are helping each other to be more accepting and open minded.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sageena I honestly don't know. I would probably say no because the fact that gay marriage isn't legal in many states in America makes me think homosexuality isn't accepted by most of the population in America. On the other hand more shows have gay couples on them. Shows like Pretty Little Liars, and Mad Men are pretty successful shows and they have gay characters on them. I just think that as more people get exposed to it, their ideas will change. Of course there will always be those who are set in their ways and unwilling to change, but the amount of change will outweigh those that stay the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion, I think that it is a good idea to portray gay couples on television shows. I believe that portrayal of gay families on TV show will make people more open-minded about homosexual families, and their societies. Since homosexual families are not closely revealed from anywhere, and their life styles are kind of isolated from others, straight people might have bad stereotypes that the homosexual families are completely different from standard families. Personally, I used to think that homosexual family would be so different from standard families, but after I watched this show, I realized that there are not many differences between those families. As I think, the success of this TV show will lead other TV programs to depict more of homosexual families, and As Sageena mentioned above, this show “Modern Family” will change the social norm of the society.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ashleigh: It's good that you saw the point that I was making,however, you make a good point as well, with shows such as Pretty Little Liars making being a smash hit. That said, I have come to the conclusion that these shows started showing homosexuality in a small "light", and it wasn't all "in your face" two girls or two guys showing their affection to each other. Its better when they are portrayed as 'normal' people, with feelings as other human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sageena, your point in saying that shows portray gay couples in a small "light" but this makes me question if television shows do this for ratings. Often a tv show will add a gay character because it adds drama, do you think homosexual people are offended by that. The fact that their used to grab viewers.

    ReplyDelete