There are a lot of gender stereotypes shown in TV, Commercial, and actually everywhere. This Commercial clearly shows the Gender Sterotype for both men and women.
*Gender sterotype are general beleifs about sex-linked traits (collections of psychological characteristic and behaviors characterizing men and women)
Please watch this video and discuss about this following questions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZZreXEqSY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
1) What would your initial feelings/reactions if it was the men squeal over the shoes and the women cheer for the beer?
2)Will children growing up think that if they do not consume alcohol they are not "manly" and if girls do not like clothes and make up, they are not "feminine"?
3)If young children are exposed to such commercials portraying men and women in this way, do you believe they would grow up with the association that women are linked with appearance and men with drink related?
regarding your second question, I think your the media is portraying that men consume "beer". While women are portrayed in the media as loving to shop, and stylish. So when boys watch men drinking Alcohol they get the idea of, that alcohol is for men. While girls see women in the media as stylish and loving to shop. They get the idea if you want to be a women you got to be stylish.
ReplyDelete@Omar, I ask you a question. If the men were screaming over the shoes, and women were screaming over the beers, what would you feel?
ReplyDelete@ Soonho
ReplyDeleteHonesty I would look at the scenario, and be really shocked. I would honestly think those men are homosexuals, and laugh cause it would be funny. You do not see generally men freaking out, over a pair of shoes, usually women do that. Also the part of women screaming over the beer, that would not be that weird, because you see that possibly happening. There men who love their beer, but there are women who love beer too,
I think that comment was very insulting because I know many guys who love to go shopping and are not homosexuals. That has nothing to do with this. That is the whole point of this blog, you are being very stereotypical and I don't think that is fair. If it does not affect you at all, just leave it alone.
ReplyDeleteAs for my next point, I don't think that children are affected by this at all. At the times that children are watching TV, there are commercials about toys and music etc. and not really commercials like that. I think that children are mostly affected by the way that they are brought up. If the parents let them stay up really late and allow them to do what they want all the time then yes, they could be affected however, I do not believe all kids will be.
I also do not think that the children will even understand at such a young age what the adults are doing. So to conclude, I think that it depends on the family and the age of the children.
i agree with omar, this is the most odd scenario, i think that even though the media is displaying such ads, they are not trying get into the kids head they are just trying to show that men drink beer and love alcohol, which is also not true in my opinion they both drink beer, the ad in my opinion is too promote the company not try to portray a message
ReplyDelete@ Alysha
ReplyDeleteRead my comment carefully please before you take it to insult. If you read the third line, first word, you would see the word, generally. Generally means "with respect to the larger part," from dictionary.com. So your friend is not from the larger group of men, I am speaking about. He I would say is the exception to the rule, also my cousin to ( and others ) is the exception to the rule, he loves to shop. The only reason I said homosexual is because the men would be acting feminine, Also I meant it as a joke. Like that was gay ( in a funny way )
@Omar
ReplyDeleteI agree with your Alysha's opinion. Even if men like to shop and are passionate about shopping, they should not be distinguished as homosexual because it wouldn't make them as gay. Apparently, being homosexual is a biological occurrence. The truth is that men are just as capable of being stylish as women and as you know, it does not MAKE them homosexual if they are interested in fashions.
The gender stereotypes that exist in our society really doesn't make any sense. People still think that men are too much into beers and women are too much into fashion.
ReplyDeleteBut in the 21st century as women are portrayed to be equal to men, they also are into wines. Also as Soonho said, we can't forget that men in present days have grown a better fashion sense than the previous days.
with regard to your second question Soonho, yes I do feel like children or even adults feel like that. Commercials play a small part in that, but are not completely to blame. Family and friends also affect us. When we see men being macho and women being feminine, we classify that as a norm. So when men who do not act macho and women who do not act feminine see that, they feel abnormal.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think that we do feel women are associated with appearance rather than sports and men are associated with sports rather than appearance. Having said that, times are changing. Men are being introduced and getting interested in so much more. Women are being given jobs that require harder labor that men once were known for.
Good thing you defined the word generally to us Omar, I was lost for a second. Saying "that way gay" is insulting, even if it is said as a joke.
@Dianne
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Diane. The times are indeed changing and people are slowly straying away from the societal "norms" that we created for ourselves.