Friday, 10 June 2011

Can GENDER EQUALITY ever exist?


Ever since the start of human civilization, the gender role has been created everywhere and men dominated women for a really long time. Gradually women stood up and started fighting for their equal right. But no matter how much they try men are still dominating the society; and all the women across the world are not given equality. But for this blog the topic is not about domination. Rather it’s about what exactly women want? Do women really want to be treated as equal to men?

If they do want to be treated equally as men, then would it be insult for women if men opened the door or pulled chair for them?

And if they do want the chair to be pulled for them or the doors to be opened for them; wouldn’t that be against gender equality?

Looking forward to your insights!

14 comments:

  1. Women DO want be treated as equality as men. I don’t think gender has anything to do with how a person is treated. It’s ridiculous that women still are not getting the same respect they deserve, which is equal to a men’s.
    Talking about the whole ‘opening the door’ and ‘pulling the chair out’ thing, it really depends on the individual. I think every girl will agree that if they are on a date and their partner opened the door or pulled their chair, they would see him as a gentle man. If the female is a feminist then she would think that it is an insult. It’s just manners to hold the door for someone, even if it’s for a male. When people try to be nice, some see it as an insult. I think that’s completely mistaken because there is nothing wrong with being friendly to a stranger.
    Answering your actual question, in my opinion, gender equality will never exist. There will always be unhappy people in this world no matter what. Let’s just say that the fight between male and female is complete, how about the people who don’t fall under the male or the female category? The discrimination against them will always take place. In other words, no matter what happens, there will always be unhappy people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with what u said Heli.
    But do u think gender equality can ever exist in such a way that it creates a perfect balance between men and women. Maybe if men tried to understand the females, and were ready to try the shoes worn by women for some time. Would it make any change? Obviously we can't sit back and say that it is not possible, but is there any possible way to overcome the fear and uneasiness among both the genders so that they behave equally to each other?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said, there will never be equality between males and females. And if there is, there will be a new fight between other sexes’. To be honest, I don’t think male can ever feel how females feel. For example, when it’s the time of our month, oh boy! Trust me, you guys won’t ever understand. I am not saying that guys are so ignorant that they are not willing to comprehend but it’s just something you cannot identify with. Also, in many work forces, females are paid less than males. Even if there were actions taken to overcome this problem (like in the past), it will still exist somewhere around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heli, I would like to say that when people say that achieving equally isn’t possible, we would never reach it and achieve what is right. Fighting for equality has become a profession for some women, and probably even men (you never know).

    I do not think gender equality is impossible. However, it would take an extremely long time to have actual equality. This is why women are taking action now.

    Rekesh’s, I must admit you pose a question that really got me thinking. Although women want to be treated equal to men, there are some women who believe that they can open their own door or pull out their own chair and others who think that men should continue doing this because they appreciate chivalry. For me, even though I want equal rights, I think chivalry is important. It shows that a guy cares. How long do you think a marriage will last if a man doesn’t do something nice for his wife, or vice versa. Therefore, I believe it depends on the person you are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remembered something funny that happened. At my old school, our gym teacher was away one day so we were instructed to join the boy's gym class. I have been playing basketball since I was 9 years old, and I think I'm pretty good at it. But that day, we were playing with the boys and everytime I had the ball, they would say, "let her have it, man. It's ok," and that made me so upset because they didn't think I was as good as them and were going soft on me. I just stopped playing and said, "I don't like playing by myself," because it was so insulting and I felt isolated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree with Heli with the part that it is still practiced in our society. But I disagree with her as we just can’t give up. And by “we” I mean both men and women. It needs collaboration from both the gender to sustain the actions.
    I completely agree to what Sageena said. Women do desire chivalry and the point of view is completely different for different people.
    U indeed showed a great example Mursal as these events happen quiet frequently in the school, workplace and in society. Women are always thought to be the weaker gender and are neglected. Even though men say that they agree giving equal right to women, it’s never fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Heli on the fact that gender inequality will never finish i.e. there will be no gender equality between men and women.
    About the thing "pulling the chair" and "opening the door", every girl would want that (as Heli said). These acts describe them as "gentlemen". If they didn't do it, then it's considered to be abnormal and weird. Also, I don't think that equality has anything to do with chivalry.
    For example, as we discussed on the blog posted by Gurpreet K. that females are paid less than males. This is what we call inequality ! There's no chivalry in this.
    Going to your first question Rakesh, yes, all women want to be treated equal. In fact, who wouldn't want that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree with Prutha that every woman wants to be treated equally. But what exactly does that mean?
    What if we actually achieve the "gender equality". Does that mean that women will open the door or pull the chair for men? If that happens then won’t the entire society we are living in get changed? Not only will it change the lifestyle, won’t it create a significant change in the culture and tradition?

    ReplyDelete
  9. In our current society, women are real confusing. They have to open there eye, In Canada women are equal to men, in other parts in the world thats another issue. Women have to stop being obsessed with seeking equality, because they HAVE equality. For instance you see feminist who get mad at a guy, who pays for their dinner, come on girl its called being nice, thats a little extreme. They attained equality, and know there looking at the little and small act of kindness to attach. Why don't they use that energy and passion to start a world organization, to help women in other countries being oppressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree to what Omar stated. It is indeed true that being a feminist would actually help to upgrade the life of women but it also degrades your relationship with your spouse as you would react negatively to every sweet thing the guy did. I also think that women indeed are confused with what they want from the society.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think that everyone of us wants to be treated the same with the same respect and dignity, but in today's society slowly but powerfully women are over powering men and when that happens and men start treating them wrong it would be hard for a woman to know whats happening. As far as the gender equality goes in my opinion it wont be fair because if women received the same respect as men they wont like it. i say this because women are favored and if a women was to open the door and the men be first at everything then there would be no difference in between women and men. In my opinion gender equality is necessary to a certain degree after that there will be no difference between women and men.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I completely agree to what Jawa stated. "Gender equality " does make sense to everyone one of us to a certain limit but if that limit is crossed then it will eventually lead to a complete shift of balance in he society and hence people will have hard time to cope with the sudden change observed in the society. But what could be the limit for it? Will we ever be able to decide where to stop this? Or as per the trend says, it will eventually cross the limit?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Heli, about the fact that all women do want to be treated equally as men.
    The whole thing about ‘pulling out the chair’ and ‘opening a door’ every girl would want a man to do that, as well as it also depends on the individual on how they would react to something like that, but for sure on a date a women would want their date to be a gentlemen to do that because on a date it would be weird or not right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Men and women should be equal because they just should be. One shouldn't be frowning upon someone of another gender. When I see all these pro-male and pro-female groups. I think why the heck is this actually happening? Our genders are dividing us sadly. In terms of physical appearance and personalities both genders are indeed different. But in the end, we all have a brain; we bleed the same red blood, and have a beating heart. I believe achieving gender equality should be the top priority in this world. Though we should have been born equal in the start and not create any divisions amongst ourselves as our lives progressed.I think both genders should be assisting each other.Like hold doors for each other and pull chairs out. The media portrays that if a male pulls out a chair or gives his coat to a lady in need, he is considered to be chivalrous. Whereas I believe all men and women should be doing that. Helping their fellow human beings whether they're in need or just to be polite.
    Women do want to be treated equally because if they didn't they wouldn't create pro-female groups as a cry for equality.

    ReplyDelete