Sunday, 12 June 2011

A good pounding

Commercials seem to get off-topic and out of place as time goes by. Sometimes, the it comes as a shock to the viewer what the commercial is even about. I actually thought it was a condom ad because of all the sexual puns. More television commercials and advertisements seem to use women to promote their product. To be more specific, the image of women as sex toys. Why is it that sex is constantly used to promote products, regardless of what they?  Notice that while the two men talk about pounding this and that and motor boating the air bags, the girl in the background just keeps smiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAMmDqtlR-Q

How do you feel about companies using women as well as sex like this to promote themselves?

Are people getting used to commercials that sell sex rather than the actual product?

Do you agree with this method of promotion?

5 comments:

  1. I think women being used as to promote products can get many attention from viewers. And I do believe that we're seeing more and more women being portrayed in commercials. Lastly I think I would have to agree with this method of promotion, because it is working to an extent, which is better than not working at all.

    (But I would like to point out, that I noticed the audio sounded a bit choppy. Is it a legitimate advertisement or did someone edit it? Just asking out of curiosity.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t believe this method is necessary. Like I had mentioned in previous blogs, this commercial is solely for business and money. But for marketing reasons this might have been an effective means of commercial as it does refer to sexual aspects. Sex is probably used to promote products because the act of sex is pleasure making. This commercial is referring to the car of how it is pleasurable to own one as well. It appeals more to the man because of these cunning puns which may be funny to them. As for the women aspect, they are always being used to promote something. Men like women. Women compare ones’ self to other women. Vice versa; but in this case it is that. I don't agree with this method of promotion because it is adding to the brainwashing of people of certain things, even if it is pleasurable. I really thought the father, jumping at the end of the video was unnecessary. It's quite ironic as he just gave his daughter away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as if it is incredibly degrading to have women serve for sexual purposes for advertisement. The beauty of women is slowly deteriorating due to this kind of terrible advertisement. In several cultures women are portrayed to be sacred and they should be kept safe and protect their inner and outer beauty. But tragically, that is steadily changing. Companies are beginning to assume that this type of advertising would capture the interest of many because it plays on emotions really. A "sexy" girl would peak the interest of most men thus resulting in their full attention on the commercial. It's sickening to say, but it’s a pretty smart and atrociously cunning thinking on behalf of the companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other Diane,I agree with you completely.
    And yes, the father jumping at the end was completely ridiculous. One might say he is condoning this behavior, another might argue that he does not care about such statements and treatments because he has become used to it.
    I feel like it's the same with the girl in the background, she smiled the entire time as if nothing were wrong. She seems all too accustomed to the things being said.
    And yes, I feel like it's used because it gets people's attention right away. People probably payed attention because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too agree with the advertisement as far as attention grabbing goes. The use of women is a completely different topic. When it comes to that I don't agree with it.
    I couldn't help but laugh at this . In fact, i laughed almost the entire time, with the exception of when the father said " pound in any direction" and when he jumped.
    No, its a legit ad, the audio seems fine ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete