
Hi class! So I'm sure that you have already taken a look at this advertisement. And I'm also sure that you laughed. I think that throughout all different media texts, women are basically used and shown as objects. I mean, look at this ad and tell me it does not look sexual, because in fact, it does. What is the message that is trying to be implied here? This advertisement would get many hits just because there is a hot woman in it with her mouth open towards a chunk of meat. And I know what you all are thinking, so why do you think that they chose to advertise this product in this way? And why is it always women that are shown in any kind of ads as sex symbols? In this particular ad, is it really necessary to say "It'll blow your mind away"?
I think that women are always taken advantage of when it comes to media advertising. However, women bring it upon themselves. If they are the ones who are doing such sexual poses etc. then why should we feel sorry for them when they complain how men treat them? Does not make sense. This ad, I'm sure was not meant to be insulting or anything of that nature however, it does kind of creep me out but I think it's purpose is to catch attention and make people laugh.
Some more questions to discuss:
What do you guys think of this ad?
Why are women always associated with sexual things?
Do you think that this is a good method of advertising?
I doubt anyone who took a look at this did not laugh. I myself could not stop laughed at it. Though after laughing, you start to think of what the ad is really saying about women- That they are only used for sex.
ReplyDeleteAs a female, I could say that it is slightly insulting but to put all that aside, I would agree that it is a good method of advertisement. It's good because it gets the viewers attention right away, but bad because it gives people the wrong impression of women. Then again, you're right. Why should we feel sorry or complain when we have the choice to say no to such a thing?
Oh, also note the " super seven incher" at the bottom of the ad. It's bad enough that they are using women to promote something in such a sexual way but now size matters, even for sandwiches. As if male ego isn't big enough.
I completely agree with Diane, this can be looked at as insulting women. But it's true that some women do put themselves in this position. I myself found this ad humorous, and I do think it is a good technique in advertising.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion I think both women and men are used as sex symbols. A good example would be ads for clothing stores, you might come across it on billboards where you see half nude men advertising Guess clothing.
I think this ad is really pathetic. Not to mention that it is funny when you look at it just as an ad.
ReplyDeleteI kind of agree with Nisant that both men and women are used as sex symbols BUT men are only used when it comes to clothing or cologne ads! Why is it that when it's "dirty" thing like the poster above, men tend to disappear from the picture?
The first thing that caught my attention was the image and the line below it "It'll blow" .. I think it's insulting the way her mouth it open and it says "..blow" (if you know what I’m trying to say). May be not everyone looked at it in the same manner but it's kind of derogatory! Every ad used in the media has double meaning. It’s a way of utilizing a technique called ‘double meaning’.
When I saw this ad I did laugh, but afterwards I thought that this is wrong, many women will think that this is insulting.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Heli that why is it that when it comes to "dirty" things like a poster, men are disappearing from the picture? Even when outside on the roads the advertisements that are up on the big boards, always show a women when it comes to a "dirty" image.
In my opinion, there are many ads that have a double meaning.
It's funny to look at this ad. I still can't stop laughing!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Heli and Nisant that women are used as sex symbols and this ad is really insulting. It's always women who are used for such sexual images. The first time I realized that this ad is disgusting when I read "super seven incher". It gives a very dirty message (I hope you know what I mean).
I don't think that this is a good way to advertise. This is just beyond the limit. It gives a very bad image of women, and such portrayals should be stopped.
I looked at this advertisement and I personally found it very insulting to all the female population. It is certainly true that women have placed themselves in this position themselves. I think the guys will really like this ad because of its sexual nature. I think they choose to advertise products this way is because men want stuff like this. Since men have this “sexual nature”, it makes this a perfect way of advertising.
ReplyDeleteI don't take any offense to it because I know there is nothing to it. I agree with Nisant and Diane that this ad can be looked at as insulting, but that's if you think about it. An ad like this isn't meant to promote thought or critique, it's meant to grab your attention. It did it's job because we laughed and we noticed the burger. It's a fast food ad, it's not meant to be taken seriously.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Heli said, because this advertisement reveals that women are the ones who are always used as sexual symbols. Personally even if i am not a female, this advertisement is kind of rude and insult to women.
ReplyDeleteThe reason why women are always associated with sexual things is that there are social norms that women are weaker than men, and inferior to men. Let's suppose that a man is in that advertisement instead of woman, then nobody will think about anything sexually involved. I think that this is a good method of advertising since it can attract many people, and can catch many people's attentions, but this advertisement kind of insulting, and reveals inequality between men and women.
I understand what all of you are saying however, why would women put themselves in such an ad and then say it is insulting? I agree with Ashleigh though, this ad is just a fast food ad and simply wants to capture our attention but my question is then...why does it always have to be in a sexual way? Also, to what Nisant said, I get what you are saying but you never see ads like this with men in them. Why is that? Just like Soonho said. So it can be very insulting. I get that there are ads, for example Hollister, that have half naked men in them but there are not ads that imply a sexual act like the above.
ReplyDeletethis ad cracked me up, this is too funny, but in my opinion the thing is that most ads are not like this, but this ad is displayed in a sexual way in my opinion, it made me think about it for sometime, but this ad shows how women are the ones, if u get what i mean, in my opinion such ads shouldn't be in the market because when a kid looks at it it raises question, the part i don't understand about this ad is that is the company trying to advertise the sandwich and the length or something else because this ads makes the customer look at women in a negative way.
ReplyDelete