Sunday, 12 June 2011

Gender Dominance

[It won't allow me to post an image, so before reading my post please follow this link----> Image ]

When comparing genders, what comes to your mind? Do you feel that males are dominant or females are? I'm sure many of you have already looked at the advertisement, what do you see? You see anything that sticks out? Taking a careful look at this ad, who do you think are being used as sex symbols? The one women, all the males, or both males and female. You can see that males are represented as the more dominating ones, and the females are the most vulnerable.

In my opinion, I think that women are used a lot in many advertisements, for example in a previous post about the Burger King ad. I think that it can really catch a person's attention, when they see a good-looking women on a billboard.

My questions for you:
1) Do you think males will always be looked upon as being more dominant?
2) Would this ad be better if it was four women vs. one man?
3) What do you think about this advertisement?

17 comments:

  1. As per the current situation in the world, males are indeed the dominant ones. They do control everything that happens in the society. And I think males will indeed be looked upon as the more dominant ones no matter how much females try as it has been the tradition for a really long time and is actually really hard to remove.

    If there were 4 women and 1 man in this ad, then the complete meaning of the ad would be changed. It would go the other way around as it would show the dominancy of women.

    This advertisement is actually a good way to show the actual status of men and women in our society. Women struggle for equality but men are not yet ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe that males will always be the dominating ones, I think there will be a time where women will have the power. We are beginning to see a society that is slowly starting to depend on women for many things. A good example is giving life. And I agree there will be a whole opposite meaning, but do you think it'll be effective? And I do agree that it is a good ad that portrays the status of both men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was looking at the advertisement, it seems that the woman is resisting the force. It looks as if she's almost able to defeat the man holding her down, and therefore there are three others to force her back down. To me it seems that the girl is showing an ability to get free. Her face expression also shows a determination, not helplessness.

    Although we see the advertisement from different angles, Rakesh is right that at the end, it is showing the actual status of men and women in our society, and the fact that no matter how much they try to rise, the men will always prevent them from doing so.

    How many women do you see in our political parties? There are some, but it is mainly men who run the government.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think men will always be seen as more dominent. With the progression of women and female rights, we will see the idea of male dominence deteriorate. More women are now in positions of high power, which will eventually lead to the view of women changing.

    I think if the ad had four women and one man, it would make him look like a "pimp". Every guy would want to be in that position, to have four beautiful women surrounding them. However, the companies are aware of their audience, men aren't the ones their catering to. They want women to feel like buying their product will make them desirable to men, and so the ad has done its job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This advertisement is a reflection of society. Even in the 21st century, women are still struggling to reach the same status as men.

    When we talk about politics, I do agree that there are fewer females in politics; but why? Why is there such an imbalance?

    If women really consider the above mentioned advertisement as derogatory then why do they still do such advertisements? I think this happens because we don't do anything about it. We just sit there and say that it is wrong and we should do something about it. But no one does anything.

    Again, it is very easy to judge and label advertisements as stereotypical but it is very hard to break free of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking a second look at the advertisement I do notice her resistant against the male, thank you for pointing that out Mursal. But I don't think she is succeeding in breaking free of him. And its true there are mainly men in politics. And women are still looked down upon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In response to your comment Ashleigh, I agree that with the development of female rights we will see the idea of males being more dominate deteriorate. And I also agree with you last point that, it will definitely make the one male look like a "pimp". And I also think that almost any male would want to be in that position.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there is an imbalance in politics, because if we look back in history men were always the more dominant, and I think no one is bothering to change that. And lastly, I think that some females put themselves in this position, without knowing what the outcome would be. But I think the reason behind this can be money!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rakesh: I don’t intend to be cruel to you on every blog, but your comments are...how do I put this nicely...offensive and degrading to what I believe in. Women are not always going to be dominated by men. In our current society, women are becoming more intelligent and standing up for the rights they deserve. They are encouraged to go to school and receive their education to become outstanding individuals, living up to their fullest potential. Even though women dominated men for centuries, society can change, it is not static.

    @Nisant: To answer your second question, I don’t think the ad would be better if there were 4 women vs. 1 man. We don’t want to turn the world upside down, making females dominate males. It is equal rights and advantages women are asking for. No one should dominate the other. Do you know gender domination comes from? In my religion, and I’m sure it’s the same for Islam as well, women and men are equal in the eyes of God, and should be equal in each other’s eyes as well. Any conclusions?

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion, I don't think that men will always dominant upon women. It is now 21th century that the rights and equality of women became almost same as men. Except for some developing countries, women are treated equally as men. Also women can be higher position than men in any fields. This will change of people's mind that men are always dominant over women. If there were 4 women and one men, as Ashleigh said above, it would really make look like a pimp, and this advertisement would attract more men since having four beautiful women all at once may be dream for them. I think that if this brand is for men, 1 men and 4 women advertisement would be better, and if the brand is for women, 4 men and 1 woman would be better, because this advertisement is showing that these products will attract more men or women to people who wear their brand. Lastly this advertisement was very creative and caught my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To answer your question yes I do think that men do dominate over women. I don’t think that this will ever change, it might in the future depending on the next generation. It’s something that is very hard to change because its been carried on for generations. A sudden change will be close to impossible but anything can happen. I think this add wouldn’t have been much of a difference if there were four girls and one guy. It still shows us dominance but yes we girls might just feel as if we have a little bit more of a control. But I don’t know how the guys will react to this. They might start to argue, and say how wrong the advertisement is. But then again that’s just my opinion. I think this advertisement is showing how much power and control guys have over the women. By showing the guys are standing up and the girl lying down, shows her vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Goldemeald: If you say that in God's eyes everyone is seemed as equal, why do we the society not treat not only females, but homosexuals, transsexuals, etc. equally?

    Also another question that I would like to throw out there is, do you think having four women and one man, do you think the one man would still be seen more dominate? Since many of you agree that he'll look like pimp, will this illustrate the same message as the original?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Gurpreet. K: I completely agree with you that everyone is aware that it’s wrong. But we do not do anything about this issue. If we do not speak up it would be really hard to break this male dominate society. If we do not speak for ourselves than no one will.

    @Nisant: I don't think that males will be look upon being more dominant in the near future because the coming generations are getting more open-minded and accepting to the changes within society. They are in a surrounding were they are expose to men, women, homosexuals, transsexuals etc. Education is very essential. The next generation hopefully will be able to change the views of the society and achieve a positive result.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that men are dominant in TODAY'S society. Not saying that they'll be dominant always. I agree with Ashleigh that women rights are improving and because of that male dominance is decreasing. Government is actually working to improve the status of women.
    I don't think that this ad would be better with four girls and a guy because ads have always been attractive with male "dominance" in them. If we see other ads such as Levis ads, even in them males are the dominant one and females are always in some "sexual" position or half naked.
    Such ads should be stopped because it gives wrong impressions of women as a whole. There's no harm in advertising decently. There is always a better way to advertise that might attract the customers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don’t think that males will always be looked upon as being more dominant, there will be a time where women will have some power. Women are becoming more intelligent and knowing what they should stand up for, by educating themselves for their own benefit.
    Also, if the ad was to be four women vs. one man, the meaning of the ad would change, but it would show that women do have power and control, where many men would think it would be wrong. As well as, i do think that if the ad was four women vs. one man, the man would be a pimp, the ad would probably create a double meaning but if many men see the ad, their first reaction would most likely be oh he's a pimp or if some men do think differently then they probably think that women have more power then men do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think there will never be a time where women will have as much power as men. there will be a time where women will have almost as much but men will be just a notch higher. We have to first lose the double standards before we can have equality between man and women

    ReplyDelete