Friday, 10 June 2011

OMG, It's a midget!


A midget is a person who is extremely short. They usually suffer through a health condition called “dwarfism”. Another name for them is also a ‘dwarf’ which is not a very nice word to call them. Both midget and dwarf are referred to as derogatory words. Let’s call this word “M” because I do not like using it.

So, how many of you have seen an M in your life? I want to know what you’re first reaction was. Was it “OMG”, “ha-ha”, “I feel sorry”, or anything else?

M’s are always made fun of and laughed at because their height is very petite. If we focus our views towards the media, they usually appear in a comic role because their appearance is seen to be humorous (which is weird, don’t you think?). In real life, they work in a circus as jokers or in a comic role. They face discrimination because of their appearance. It is hard for them to find a job or work in a workplace without being made fun of. They are as normal and intelligent as any human being, so why them?

Think about this next time you call a short person a “midget” :)

Here’s a link to the video which I found very interesting about someone. The sudden reaction which the recorder went through after noticing the person’s physical struggle is a sad sight to watch.. Video!

- Why do you think people laugh at them only because of their miniature appearance?

- Do you think media has a role in the way you think about M’s?

- Are they faced in the same manner of discrimination which homosexual’s face? Is it worse? Is it less?

- What do you think about the video?

7 comments:

  1. In response to your questions, I think that midgets are looked at to be humorous, because of what the media can portray, and also what we may see in our society. I think that it is true that people laugh because of their height. On another note, I think the environment we are raised can play a huge role, because if you're in a family where some one is a midget, you'd consider them normal, where some one else might find them "abnormal". I don't feel that midgets are treated in the same manner as homosexuals are, because in my experience I never seen nor heard any protests against being a midget. I think this video is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading an interesting article on midgets one day. It said they actually have more immunity against diseases than people who are taller. There was a midget who had cancer but it mysteriously disappeared and never came back. Studies later found that it was due to their height that gives them this special defense. Someone who is a cancer patient would wish a thousand times to be a midget than dead. Being a midget has its own benefits just as being tall has. There's nothing funny about being a midget at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being midget actually depends on genetics of people. It is completely natural. They exist the same way we all exist in the society. As Nisant said earlier media plays a vital role to portray midgets to the viewers. It’s almost the same way how obese people are sometimes portrayed as being unfit and inhuman and only the ones who have a slimmer body are actually the normal ones. Even though normality is defined differently by people every human has to understand what is right and what is wrong.
    Midgets are indeed facing discrimination but it’s very less. People look at midgets are pity them. They look at midgets in a disgusted look. They feel left out every time they try to be part of group.

    The video is indeed outrageous, as the comments passed on the midget is actually very rude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nisant and Rakesh, being a midget is natural, they all are human beings just like everyone else in our society and around the world. Media does play a role on how people view midgets by the way media portrays midgets makes others react the same way, which obviously does hurt their feelings because they are humans just like us. I believe that midgets aren't treated the same way, many people react different like many people would give them weird looks, not socializing with them which makes them feel isolated from everyone else. I think this video is very rude by the comments that were made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Nisant and Prina: I agree that the media has an influence on what people think about short people. If anyone has watched the movie Austin Powers, there is a character called Mini Me. I think the name itself is enough to explain the appearance of the character. It is sad that he was given a funny role to play, which he acted very well!

    @ Mursal: Yes, I do agree that they have the ability to fight against some diseases. But, do you think it is fair that they cannot reproduce? In extremely rare cases are they able to give birth to a child of their own.

    @ Rakesh: I agree with your comment but I also disagree that they face “very less” discrimination. I am sure that little children or immature individuals who are unable to differentiate between ‘normal’ people and short people point at them and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember that once a short kid had wanted to play soccer with us when I was in middle school. We did let him play soccer with us but at the end of the game we decided never to allow that kid play with us. It was plainly because the kid was short hence couldn't run as fast as us and he lacked height which didn't help us during corners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Heli:

    I know they cannot reporoduce, but there must be a wisdom behind that. Perhaps there would be more complications with pregnancy if they were able to reproduce because their chromosomes aren't complete. This is beyond our comprehension because sometimes we may think something is bad but in fact it's for our good.

    I don't know how religious you might be, but for me, this life is temporary. It's not an eternal life. Something like our body is only considered a materialistic possessions. All that counts in this world is our deeds and intentions. If someone makes fun of us regarding our appearance, it's better to have patience and know that those who do so are ignorant.

    ReplyDelete